The Really Old Bali Blog (2013-2015) « Flights cancelled at Denpasar International Airport due to eruption of Java's Mount Raung
July 10 2015: All domestic and international flights have been cancelled to and from Denpasar International Airport due to a severe eruption of Mount (Gunung) Raung in nearby East Java - approximately 150 kms away.
Mount ('Gunung') Raung is one of Java's most active volcanoes, and is currently sharing the spotlight with Mount Sinabung which is also violently erupting on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, and causing thousands of people to flee their homes.
Denpasar International Airport is forecast to be shut until at least Monday 13 July.
If your visa is about to run out and you don't want to pay the rp.300,000/day overstay fine - which could mount up - be sure to check in as normal on the day of your departure, go through immigration to collect your exit stamp, walk back through immigration when you're told that your flight won't be taking off for another week, and collect your new 30-day ticket to Bali on the way out.
Let's face it. There are worse places to be stranded than on the Island of the Gods. It's not exactly hell.
Unless of course you're not allowed back out from the airport, in which case you're going to spend a pretty uncomfortable night on those curvy little plastic seats.
Update: 12 July 2015 (am)
It appears Denpasar's airport has re-opened: but there's a twist. The Transport Minister has announced that:
"The airport is open now in Bali" - but added that it was not clear when flights would resume.
Well, that clears up a lot.
Update: 12 July 2015 (pm)
This just posted on Facebook's Ubud Community from a lucky flier:
"Flying to and from Bali is not safe yet!! My flight had to make an urgent U-turn right after few minutes they announced that we were about to land in Bali shortly and to make landing in Surabaya instead that took us 30 min! Another stranding. I'd already been stranded for two nights in Jogyakarta because of this volcanic eruption.
"Still thanking God that at least we made it safely to Surabaya a minute ago. Still panicking, but still hoping other flights could make it safe and sound due our unpredictable nature."
I think I'd rather ground myself for a few days and pay the overstay fine or delay my holiday.
When they say it's safe to fly, it... may not really be that safe to fly - through thick volcanic ash with fickle winds.
Have a think about it.
Related Content: Transport in Indonesia
Related Content: Volcanic Eruptions in Indonesia
More Old Bali Blog Posts
☬ The Really Old Bali Blog Posts ~ 2013-2015
- Dutch colonial massacres in Indonesia from 1945-1949, and compensation from Holland [Updated 2020]
- 'Liger' killed after Bogor sex attack
- Will she or won't she? Miss World cancelled on Java
- Make mine a large one, Chief: Aceh orders schoolchildren to self-measure their genitalia
- Share that shower, girls: Bali to enter a water deficit by 2015
- Joshua Oppenheimer's film 'The Act of Killing' nominated for an Oscar
- Lock up your daughters: Muslim FPI hardliners planning to raid Bali turned away by Police
- Monopoly money: Indonesian rupiah is Asia's worst-performing currency
- Selamat pagi! Christian ward-chief unwelcome in Jakarta for not using Arabic greetings
- Did the earth move for you? Minor earthquake jolts Ubud
- Who let the cat out of the bag? Schapelle Corby granted parole from Kerobokan Prison
- Dad, which one's the brake? 13-year-old rock-star's son kills 7 with car
- Indonesian public officials fired for crystal meth use
- A right royal send-off: The Queen of Ubud's cremation ceremony
- Forest fires rage on Bali's Mount Agung
- Mummy! West Balinese coffee farmer finds 2,300-year-old sarcophagus in coffee plantation
- Nag or Stallion? Chinese Year of the Horse, 2014
- Whirlwinds and heavy weather hit Bali's Denpasar
- No God, no job: 19 government workers fired for not turning up to Friday prayers
- Santa no-fly zone: Aceh hardline Muslims ban Christmas
- 10th anniversary of Asian Tsunami
- Cosmic counter-balance? Chinese Year of the Horse starts with a bang
- Sanur security guard strangled by python outside Bali Hyatt Hotel
- Ask questions later: Indonesian terror police gun down six in Jakarta
- East-West car crash: Balinese man strangles woman on nude cruise liner
- Paddling in Sanur: Floods hit south Bali's beachside tourist resort
- Australian mother and daughter die of suspected food-poisoning in Padangbai resort, Bali
- A lion named Michael: Another animal dies at the Surabaya 'Zoo of Death'
- Bootleg 'arak' kills three in Buleleng, North Bali
- Bad timing: Frenchman arrested for cocaine possession in Kuta, Bali
- Batten down the hatches: Bad weather in store for Bali in January 2014
- The Russians are coming!! Ex-soviet tourists flood Bali...
- Tears in Paradise: A photo exhibition of Bali's mentally ill
- Flaming cash: Indonesian rupiah on world list of 'Fragile Five' currencies
- Watch out! There's a foreigner about...
- Ashes to ashes: Devastating fire at Clear Cafe on Ubud's Jalan Hanuman
- High life, low life: Australian brothers Scott O'Hehir and Timothy O'Hehir from Perth guilty of GBH in Kuta, Bali
- Monster price-hike: Price of Indonesian gas/petrol rises by 33% overnight
- Snuff it or get snuffed: Illegal forest fires burn out of control on Riau
- Waitreeeess!! Australian tourist detained on flight from Brisbane to Bali
- British woman murdered in Junjungan villa, Ubud
- Dead guilty: Guy cheats on wife and drives off Denpasar bridge
- Strictly off the menu: Magic Mushrooms illegal in Bali (2021 Update)
- Eat, Pray... Crash
- A sleeping giant wakes: Sumatra's Mount Sinabung erupts
- Up, up... and away! Price of Indonesia's Visa on Arrival (VOA) rises by 40%
- The Blues have it? Indonesia goes to the polls
- Open-and-shut case? American woman found dead in suitcase outside Nusa Dua hotel
- Hungry Mouth To Feed? VS Naipaul pulls out of Ubud Writers' and Readers' Festival
- Earthquake Time Again: 7,3 hits Sulawesi and Maluku
- Russian thief arrested for stealing souvenir at Tanah Lot
- Just another meltdown: Indonesian rupiah plunges to pre-1998 crisis levels
- Down: AirAsia flight QZ8501 crashes into Java Sea
- US Security Warning For East Java
- Australian Security Warning For Bali
- The Long Goodbye: Six drug traffickers executed in Indonesia
- Very Important Ape: Paris Hilton pays a visit to Ubud's Monkey Forest
- Bali Nine or the Magnificent Seven? Australian drug traffickers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be executed in Indonesia
- Bye-bye beer: Indonesia bans alcohol from convenience stores
- Australia vs. Indonesia, Round 9: Handbags at Dawn
- Rabies Returns to Ubud in 2015
- Indonesia: Alcohol prohibition
- This restless earth: Sumatra's Mount Sinabung on highest alert after eruptions
- 8-year-old Engeline - 'Angeline' - murdered in Sanur, Bali
- Australian surfer Nicholas Langan facing four years in Bali prison for smoking marijuana joint
- July 7-11, 2015: Dog-poisonings and widespread dog-culls in Ubud and Sukawati, Bali
- Flights cancelled at Denpasar International Airport due to eruption of Java's Mount Raung
Bali Street Art, Graffiti & Murals ~ 2021
Street art graffiti of the Hindu elephant-headed God Ganesha outside an Indian restaurant in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
Photograph by © 2021 Ubud High.
© 2021 John Storey. All Rights Reserved.
The Last Pic
Portrait of the Day
Portraits from Bali by Ubud High
© Ubud High.
© 2021 John Storey. All rights reserved.
The Ubud Handbook ~ by John Storey
THE UBUD HANDBOOK ~ Your free guide to living in Ubud and Bali in an online nutshell.
Search Ubud High
Popular search terms ~
ganesha bali / covid / scorpions / scooter rental / bali street art / graffiti / murals / volcano / earthquake / trance / hornets / arma art gallery ubud / nyepi / traditional balinese paintings / rainy season / snakes / 2022 bali spirit festival / dengue fever / ecstatic dance / indonesia
Ubud Market ~ 2021 Pandemic Images
Street Art, Urban Murals & Creative Graffiti on Bali
Street art, graffiti and murals for the masses – the most public of Bali's urban art scene hidden in plain sight on the walls of Canggu, Ubud, Seminyak and Kuta.
Search Ubud High
Popular search terms:
ganesha bali / covid / scorpions / scooter rental / street art / graffiti / mural / trance / volcano / earthquake / hornets / arma gallery / nyepi / traditional balinese paintings / rainy season / snakes / 2022 bali spirit festival / dengue fever / ecstatic dance / indonesia
Gunung Anak Krakatau – the infamous 'Child of Krakatoa' volcano – erupting in the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra, Indonesia.